Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Power of Perspective

Nothing brings perspective like the truth. And though the truth is hard to hear, and even harder to say at times, it is the best way to gain perspective on any issue.

The truth is how God brought Jonah to the correct perspective. Sure, it was delivered in the form of a question in Jonah 4:10-11, but it is a rhetorical question, so the answer is assumed. And the answer? "You bet I shoud be concerned!" (That's my loose interpreation of God's implied answer to Jonah in the original Hebrew.)

That helped Jonah start seeeing the situation correctly instead of selfishly; that helped him start viewing people as primary, his own comfort as secondary (at best); that helpped him gain God's perspetive about others: they matter!

Yep, nothing like to truth to help us see things correctly. Check out the way this young college girl used it to help her dad have the right perspective:

“Dear Dad,
Sorry I haven’t written sooner. My arm was dramatically broken. Seriously, I broke it, and my left leg, when I jumped from the second floor of my dormitory. Oh yeah, we had a fire. But we were lucky. A young service station attendant saw the blaze and called the fire department. Fortunately, they were there in minutes. But I was in the hospital for a few days for smoke issues and the broken bones. However, Paul, the service station attendant who originally called the firefighters, came to see me every day. And because it was taking so long to get our dormitory livable again, I moved in with him. He has been so nice! I must admit, though, I was surprised when I discovered I am expecting a baby, and even more surprised when the doctor said I have something he calls a “social disease.” But don’t worry, Dad, the shots are working, and we have an abortion clinic nearby as well. Of course, Paul and I plan to get married, but he needs to get his divorce processed first. We're not sure how the custody battle will go, so for now his five kids will probably live with us. Anyway, I hope things are fine at home. I’m actually doing fine now that things have settled down a bit, and will write more when I get the chance.
Love,
Your daughter

P.S. None of the above is true. But I did get a “C” in Sociology and I flunked a Chemistry test. I just wanted you to receive the news in its proper perspective.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor,
Thanks for your sermon on perspective. It was very thought provoking. We had an interesting carry-over on perspective in our Lighthouse on Tues. evening.
We took a look into 1 Samuel 15 and learned that God was not sending someone like Jonah to bring redemption, but was sending someone Like King Saul for wrath. God was upset with Amalekites for their obstruction in allowing the Hebrews into the Holy land known today as Israel.
We learned that God's man, King Saul, didn't listen to the WHOLE of of God's message. He was to destroy every man, woman, child, and animal. Instead he apeased the people and spared their king, Agag, along with the choice livestock. King Saul lost his kingship over this.
What have we learned from this? When we repent of our sins we need to repent WHOLE-HEARTEDLY and not just part way. God knows the difference! Have you ever had someone appoligize to you but you knew they didn't mean it? It's the same thing. When we repent we must go and sin no more. Repent in WHOLE not half.
Bob McConnell