Friday, July 10, 2009

The Genius of a Simple Kid

I think kids should write the IRS Tax Code. And I think they should oversee political debates, as well as approve all assembly instructions and troubleshooting manuals for products, appliances, and technical devices. Why? Because nobody can say it as simple as a child.

In fact, I can’t tell you the number of times we’ve been talking through a day’s events around the dinner table and one of our kids, after hearing the “if, ands, or buts” of a given situation just pipes up and solves a world dilemma or national crisis in a few words or a simple sentence. It seems rather simple to them. Truth is, it actually is; but we adults love to complicate matters, don’t we? I guess it makes us feel important. Needed. But kids often say it best because they say it simply.

For instance, the other day Julie was having a laundry day with our two littlest girls, teaching them the how, where, what, and why of clean clothes. Of course, since we had recently purchased a new frontloading, high capacity set, the process was really different. Many more buttons, screens, and options; fewer dials. I had already decided the new units were above my learning curve.

Well, when I got home, I asked Breanna how the “day of laundry training” went. Assuming I would get a tired response filled with rolled eyes and a long face, I prepared myself for the typical answer most kids give when done with a day of chores. But not my Bre! In Breanna’s unique and creative way, she said with great simplicity, “It’s a breeze, dad. All you do is turn on the screen, push the right picture, and later push the next button it tells you to push for the dryer. It’s all pretty easy, dad. And the best part is you get a 50-minute break after every load!”

Okay, so maybe there is a little more to it. But I do think GE, Whirlpool, or Kenmore might want to contact Breanna about pitching their new machines. Her simplicity seems pretty attractive, eh?

There’s a lesson here, but it’s so obvious I won’t even go to the trouble of writing it. After all, I might actually complicate it in my effort to “clear it up.” So I’ll just let Breanna’s example suffice. And if you want more simple insight into laundry (or life), call our house and ask or Breanna. She’ll be in the laundry room.

No comments: