Thursday, April 22, 2010

Proximity, Complexity, and Simplicity

“Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways” (Romans 11:33).

 

The closer I get to something, the larger it gets. And the larger it gets, the more appreciative I become.  It's almost like proximity leads to a sort of welcomed complexity.

 

I find this to be a true equation in my marriage. The closer I get to my wife, the more I realize just how little I actually know about her, what a special woman she truly is, and just how much there is about her and our relationship that I still want to discover. Truly, she becomes "larger" in my eyes with every passing day of marriage to her (I hope you hear that well, sweetheart!). Like I said, there's something about proximity that opens up a whole new -- and welcomed -- complexity.

 

This equation also proves correct in my line of work – pastoral ministry. The turn-around stories of the Jesus-followers I have the privilege of watching, as well as the many passages I study each week, show me the vast sovereignty and surpassing greatness of God’s salvation. Not surprising, the closer I look, the larger God becomes. Again, my proximity seems to lead me to place of welcomed complexity.

 

It's at this place of welcomed complexity that something else begins to occur: I discover the joyful simplicity of worship. When the ability to describe the "what" escapes me, the supernatural desire to adore the "who" envelopes me, and praise flows from my heart and lips like a bird taking flight! I find myself passionately but simply echoing the words of the Psalmist, "Salvation belongs to the Lord" (Psalm 3:1).

 

Nothing is truer than those five words. Nothing.

 

To him be glory forever!

No comments: